Old March 13th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn

Default On Sharing airspace with "non-rated UAV "pilots"

It appears that the Air Force is experimenting with non-rated UAV "pilots".
Since as a civilian pilot I could potentially be sharing the same airspace
with these folks, I am not sure this gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Of course, the government could always "solve" any potential problem with
more restricted airspace...

Vaughn

"Citing a projected shortfall of 1,500 pilots over the next decade, the U.S.
Air Force has begun training 10 non-pilots to fly unmanned aerial vehicles,
or UAVs. The Air Force says UAVs flew 400,000 hours in 2008, double the rate
of the previous year. Because every sortie requires support from seven
people on the ground, officials say existing fighter and bomber personnel
simply cannot keep up with demand. FlightGlobal.com (3/12) "