Old March 14th 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default On Sharing airspace with "non-rated UAV "pilots"

On Mar 14, 4:57*am, "vaughn"
wrote:
"Todd W. Deckard" wrote in messagenews:iLWdnTfnofaWkybUnZ2dnUVZ_gyWnZ2d@earth link.com...

a GlobalHawk is flown entirely with a mouse. *The operator is not "flying
it" they are commanding it over specific profiles ...

* *And?

* *I have no particular problems with sharing airspace with a UAV, I just
want it to be able see and avoid other planes at least as well as any other
plane out there, and I want to to follow the same rules that I follow. *For
lots of good reasons, that includes a rated pilot at the controls. *If we
don't hold UAVs to that standard as they evolve, eventually our government
will decide that UAVs need to be separated from manned traffic. *

Again, many F-16 pilots are not rated either. The Air Force doesn't
require its pilots to obtain civilan ratings.
In anycase, the only time the Global Hawk is flying outside of class A
airspace in the US is in TFRs.

-Robert