Old November 5th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Diagnostic questions

On Nov 4, 6:52*pm, Tony W wrote:
Hi guys, I've been gone a while but I just picked this group up again.

One day several months ago I loaned my bug to my daughter for the day
and something happened when she was out and about with it and almost
didn't get it home. *I'm having trouble narrowing down what's wrong.
When the problem started the weather was crappy and I didn't have the
garage space to roll it in so I put it off until things got warm. *Then
I was busy all summer and I'm just getting back to it. *Along the way I
worked on it a little here and there but not enough to really get to the
bottom of the problem.

This engine has about 30k miles on it. *I rebuilt it and had Dan Hall's
machine shop in Portland do all the machine work. *The compression is
good and the oil pressure hasn't changed since the engine was first put
into service. BTW, this is the engine that I used to refer to the
perpetual project. *It spent over 10 years in my bedroom closet waiting
for me to get around to finishing it...

The engine cuts out a low RPM and gets worse as it warms up. *By the
time it should be warmed up enough to idle, it's running worse and I
can't get to the back of the car to tinker with it. *BTW the power is OK
until it warms up then it hard to keep it running. *Judging by the oil
pressure, it never gets to fully warmed up before it's running like crap.

My first thought was the points and condenser were likely bad. *I had
the money so I put in an electronic ignition kit. *It ran the same and I
thought maybe it was fuel starving. *Draining the gas gave an
unimpressive flow rate so I pulled the tank and cleaned the screen. The
screen was about half blocked so I figured I found the problem. *Since I
was in there, I installed an electric fuel pump and put a new fuel
filter between the pump and tank. *Still no change.

I've also been going over the electrical connections. *I've been
cleaning them or replacing them as required and packing them with
dielectric grease. *I've fixed all sorts of little problems that have
had no effect on the problem.

There is a bit of soft soot inside the end of the exhaust pipe and while
I don't see any black smoke, it does smell a little rich. *right now I'm
thinking it's either the carb or the coil is weak. *Any suggestions?

Tony

Electric fuel cut off on the side of the carb? Check to see that it
hasn't worked loose and destroyed the idle jet seat.......... use a
fixed idle jet in the air :-)
Leon McAtee