Old August 2nd 11, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bish

Default Netto

On 1 août, 18:24, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:18:02 -0600, BobW wrote:
A few 'weird Libelle pilots' (and myself) aside, most glider cockpits
I've seen have (at least!) two varios, so I suppose a person might argue
that - when I still had the Ball in place - I was using two varios to do
what the C4 (with which I'm 100% ignorant) implements in a single
unit...save for the fact it 'continually subtracts' that aforementioned
200 fpm/2 knots when in cruise mode.

I'm also a Libelle driver, though of the two vario variety: I carry a
Borgelt B.40 as backup to the C4 and fins its extremely rapid response is
a useful addition to the C4, especially for finding the hot spots under
large clouds. *

I've wondered why the C4 uses super netto rather than plain netto in
cruise mode. My current best guess is that maybe the switch from netto to
TE modes causes the vario to step its reading. The C4 never produces a
sudden reading change that I've noticed when it switches between modes.

Anyhow, returning to the O.P.'s O.Q. (original question), my vote would
be to use 'unadjectivized "Netto"' for at least a couple of 'longish
soaring flights' or until such time as what I've tried to describe makes
conceptual/in-flight sense.

Agreed. I suggest the OP does a few flights with each netto setting, *in
each case staying with the same netto type long enough to get used to
what its telling him in cruise mode. Then he should simply use the one he
likes best.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Thank you for your for your answer.
The owner manuel says; netto is what the airmass is doing, relative
vario is what you would get if you stop for thermaling.
After 50 hours with netto I will try relative netto for a while.
The best of lift.
S6