Old July 22nd 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default Why GA is Dying

"Stubby" wrote in message
Nobody is forcing you to use that FBO. Frankly, I like the idea of them
keeping tabs on people hanging around planes they are responsible for. If
I owned a plane, I might seek out a place like that.

They are not keeping tabs on people hanging around the airport. There are 2
gates to the ramp and both are wide open all day. The gates are not
monitored. Automobiles are allowed on the ramp. Bikes are allowed on the
ramp. People are allowed on the ramp. No ID, no anything other than an
active GA community to keep an eye on things during the day. At night, one
gate is open and there is a security person around.

I'm fine with that. I don't need/want big brother at the airport. I don't
want to have to sign in or card in or have to meet guests at a security
gate. That kind of security just isn't necessary at a GA field.

The issue today was that the kid was taking pictures instead of just
pointing and talking. Why you'd need to have an ID to take pictures (as
opposed to walking the ramp or driving on the ramp) is unknowable. And, why
someone with the FBO would fabricate a rule about having a photo ID to take
pictures is bizzarre.

KB