Old April 30th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Good news and bad news about SPOT 2 devices

My SPOT1 batteries need replacement after more than a year (over 300
hours). So even if SPOT2 needs more frequent battery replacement it
may not be a real issue for most pilots.

Ramy

Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Apr 29, 10:27*am, Westbender wrote:
Are you using the "replacement" or the "original" Spot 2?

One of the reasons for the replacement program was power consumption.
I have a replacement unit, but I haven't used it yet. Just curious.

To be anal-retentive clear on this, I don't believe that the issue was
power consumption per se, but rather an incorrect low battery warning
so people would be lead to change batteries earlier than necessary.
AFAIK there was no mod to improve actual battery consumption (just the
apparent consumption). See for example Doug Ritter's comments at
http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=172

If somebody knows for sure else wise speak up...

It is a pity with the SPOT 2 that the hiker/general user etc. goal of
making the device smaller overrode long tracking battery life. I've
still got the original SPOT and never really had significant dropped
tracking message problems and am not sure I'll upgrade.

Darryl