Old April 8th 04, 11:08 AM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Kevin Brooks
writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
AIWS kicked off in March 1987: IAM went public in 1988 and in 1991
Friedman was speculating about how its accuracy could be improved if GPS
were used as a complement to inertial guidance. (IAM, not GAM, was
flying before 1991 - my mistake)

So we are back to the fact that we have not seen any GPS guided rounds
(minus that SLAM sort-of-GPS-guided-but-with-a-separate-terminal-seeker)
flying around until the latter part of the nineties.

Fielded in 1996 (GAM) and production hardware delivered in 1998 (JDAM)
means flying for a few years before that.

Flight trials of the GPS Guidance Package for JDAM started in 1993 as
far as I can tell (INTEGRATED INS/GPS TAKES OFF IN THE US, INTERNATIONAL
DEFENSE REVIEW, February 1993)

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill