Old April 8th 04, 06:14 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

Eh? The E-8 is operating at that range--you think that the range error of
the E-8's ISAR itself increases significantly through the depth of its
coverage? The platform doing the weapons release would have to be about on
top of the target. This configuration, using AMSTE, was credited with a
successful strike in its first test drop, from what I have read.

What weapon was used? A 2000lb bomb with it's large blast radius is easy
to use to claim a kill. Doing the same thing with the 500 lb version is much
more difficult and requires higher accuracy and better systems.
See the point? The reason for developing AMSTE and other systems of the
type is to use smaller weapons so more can be carried, or the a/c has longer
range. That requires the development of high accuracy GPS, INS, and
targeting systems.
It's like deer hunting. If you're a really expert shot you can use a .223 and
take head or spine shots. If you're not so good you use a cannon and try
to hit him wherever you can. (not good sportsmanship though)

Of interest
would be how much the E-8 "sees"--can it also pick up the aircraft dropping
the munition (regular JDAM in this case)(as I believe the follow-on E-10
will be able to do)? If so, then it would appear to offer the dropping
aircraft the same accuracy enhancement that its own SAR would afford--the
E-8 would have the target and the delivery platform in the same frame of
reference, so any ranging error would be largely negated?

Seeing something is not good enough for targeting.
Resolution matters, and resolution is linear with distance.

There are a lot of variables to consider, and frankly, due to my job,
I'm not comfortable running through the whole thing in an open forum.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur