Old June 12th 04, 08:31 AM
robert arndt

Me wrote in message ...
Hello to the group. I just read a Google groups thread from a few years
ago, on the Allison V-1710 engine. Two of the posts included a reference
to a DARPA project to develop an engine for long range cruise missiles.
It used a diesel engine as its core. Can anyone provide information on
this project?
Thanks in advance

IIRC, that was a turbocompound diesel engine, right?
Anyway, the only diesel engines that seem of military interest for
flight vehicles is micro-diesels for MAVs. D-STAR has made a 1.3hp
micro diesel that runs off JP-8 and 3% 2-stroke with no volatile
additives!
DARPA meanwhile is working on a scramjet-powered cruise missile while
EADS has proposals for air-breathing rocket-powered cruise missiles. I
don't know exactly what configuration EADS has adopted for their
stealth cruise missile.
Sorry I couldn't answer your question specifically... it was years
ago. However, I don't think a diesel powered cruise missile would be
practical in terms of power-to-weight ratio especially with the
materials and technology available today. There is always a group that
is trying to propose "cheap" vs "high-tech" solutions for future
offensive systems... but in the US the high-cost technology usually
wins out!

Rob