Old March 3rd 18, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

I have a couple of questions for the author.
Did you pre-brief the BFR pilot that you were going to include a “failed open spoiler” event during the BFR as a learning experience to enhance the BFR beyond the routine? Or simply do it to get a kick? Anytime an instructor or examiner test outside of the norm or expected, they invite a negative learning environment brought on by mental saturation. Taking a disaster in the making to 200’ (“barked, slammed close, arrested, and stopped at midfield taxiway) when you recognize it at 1000’ is equivalent of holding your baby brother under water until he chokes. I bet your landing was a greaser, right?
It is allowed and encourage to both instruct and evaluate to proficiency performing a BFR. I don’t remember the FAA ( who all instructors and examers represent ) require humiliation as part of the EVALUATION.
Which brings me to my final question. Do you include stress inducing scenarios that fall outside of expected training or practice when conducting a Proficiency Check required to receive a Glider Rating?

Whether (?) I’m instructing in a 747 or a glider, all maneuvers and scenarios are discuss , understood, and questions answered. Passing performance requirements fully understood. No surprises. The ‘student’ will load himself enough on his/her own without my help.

Your comments regarding stress affecting performance is valid and very much analyzed by hundreds over the years. Thru training we can visit and explore these scenarios that begin with discussion on the ground, flight performance, and review after landing. Visiting these scenarios in flight goes a long way mitigating a negative outcome in real life. Your suggestions to reduce stress are excellent. Imposing it during any training or examination that exceeds known course outlines without conferring with the student instructor prior to the exam is a disservice to the entire system. As instructors, it’s sometimes hard to know exactly when to intervene. A negative trend that reaches a minute or less is good. 2 seconds to impact requiring a ‘hero’ to save the day means both pilots failed at their jobs.