Old March 3rd 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 1:23:04 AM UTC+3, Retting wrote:
Which brings me to my final question. Do you include stress inducing scenarios that fall outside of expected training or practice when conducting a Proficiency Check required to receive a Glider Rating?

I'm pretty sure "brakes jammed in an arbitrary position" was something I was taught during initial training 33 years ago. That is something that really does happen from time to time, so if it is going to induce stress in the student sufficient to make them stop functioning then that's very valuable information.

From the description, he may have been a bit aggressive and/or a bit tardy in recognising that the student wasn't ever going to fix things and taking over. Or, it might just be embellishment of the story.

Again, when I was a student, the thing I hated the MOST in instructors was when they took over just at the moment I recognised there was a problem, and was about to start correction. I imagine that's mostly inexperienced instructors who should have a much larger comfort zone than the student, but don't.