Old April 21st 04, 12:03 AM
Jim Yanik

"Jim Doyle" wrote in
:

"Jay Stranahan" wrote in message
I see your point, and sincerely, it is convincing. I just think of
the

two
alternatives - granted a defenceless lady has no capacity to fend
off a burglar and there is no way the police can prevent him from
breaking and entering - which is a sorry state of affairs. However,
were that lady

armed
with a 9mm, any sensible burglar would still go to her home taking

pistol
with him. Which is the safer situation for the lady, neither are

pleasant,
but I would argue the former.

Okay, look.. I don't want to come off sounding like some
chest-beating right-wing arsehole, but.... look at what you just
wrote. Given the choice between self defense in her own home and
placing herself at the mercy of a

young
male intruder, the woman in question should throw herself on the
mercy of

the
intruder for *fear* that *he* might be armed.

I'm sorry, but that's loathesome. Is this what you would choose for
your

own
wife or mother?

Look, here's the deal - I would rather the lady not be burgled in the
first place - as anyone would. However that's trivial. Consider two
options, either neither the lady nor the burglars has a weapon or on
the flip side, they both do. Who is going to come out the better in a
shoot out? The granny? Certainly not, which is why it would be better
that there were no guns involved.

Well,you seem to be wrong here,as there was such an incident here in the
Central Florida area,and the 50 yr old lady came out alive,after receiving
two shots,but killed the stalker that smashed through her patio door,armed
with a gun and a piece of rope.And i've read of many others in the "Armed
Citizen" column of the NRA,which reprints articles -from US newspapers-
where ODCs have used firearms to defend themselves against criminals.
Legal,legitimate self-defenses.
At least allowing the granny to be armed -if she chooses-,gives her a fair
chance of defense,something you seem to wish to deny to citizens.
It certainly is NOT better that she not be armed and face an intruder.
No way,no matter how you spin it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net