Old September 14th 03, 10:28 PM
miso

I found this from US News and World Report:

The joystick war
Run from afar, Predators and other spy gear signal a new era of
remote-control warfare
By Richard J. Newman

Early in the Iraq war, an unmanned Predator surveillance plane
captured live video of an Iraqi Roland surface-to-air missile on the
ground north of Baghdad. Since the missile threatened U.S.
aircraft--and was mobile and easy to hide--air commanders called for a
quick airstrike. They directed a nearby A-10 warplane to ready its
laser-guided bombs, while the Predator itself prepared to guide those
bombs onto the target with its laser designator. Such "buddy lasing"
is a common targeting tactic. But this time there was one notable
difference: The pilot operating the Predator was sitting in a trailer
at an American air base, 7,000 miles away.

http://www.usnewsclassroom.com/issue...news/19air.htm

"TJ" wrote in message ...
"Guy Alcala"

And perhaps more importantly, Iraq among others operated them. At least,

they were operational and used during DS, although
how operational they'd remain after a decade of sanctions is arguable.

Guy

The Iraqi's still continued to fire Roland at Coalition manned and unmanned
aircraft operating in the NFZs. I've seen 2002 footage of a Roland launch
against a Predator in the SNFZ. Numerous Rolands and associated vehicles
have been found since the fall of Baghdad.

TJ