Old July 2nd 03, 05:02 AM
Jim Fisher

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
The reason I am assuming this is because I have never seen or read about

an
acceptable portable antenna for any sferics device.

I really have no doubt that this gadget doesn't rival the performance of a
14k unit but, like you, I have nothing to base this on but the thought that
"it can't be as good 'cause it ain't as expensive and it doesn't have
'Airplane Use Only' printed on it."

However, the old Stormscope I had in my Cherokee had a cool, colorful little
led-based, radar-like screen. It would tell you if a strike was between 0
and 30 miles, 30 and 60 and 60 to 90 miles out. It also gave you a general
idea of the direction from which the strike was detected in ~25 degree
increments. This thing supposedly added $3,500 bucks to the Trade-a-Plane
value of my plane when I sold it.

I didn't use it for "serious" IFR because, number one, I wasn't IFR rated
and, number two, even if I was I would never attempt to fly in any "serious"
IFR with embedded CB all around me where I would actually need such a gizmo.
I only found it comforting to have in the panel in case I ever needed it to
get my ass out of a sling some day.

It was nothing like the newfangled gizmos that plot a little lightning bolt
in the exact range and direction of your position.

My point is that this handheld gizmo would just HAVE to give me at least as
much info as my old Stormscope--which wasn't much but would probably come in
handy if I ever needed it.

I'll dig up that magazine and post the name of it here when I get a chance.

--
Jim Fisher