Old September 30th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Brian Sharrock

Default Seaplane Resurgence?

"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 30, 11:00 am, "Brian Sharrock" wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Sep 29, 9:52 pm, Dan wrote:
Rob Arndt wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:04?pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Rob Arndt wrote:
The Soviet-era Ekranoplans were comparable to seaplanes
Not at all similar.

The Ekranoplans flew only in ground effect.

Graham

A technicality at best.

Ekranoplans are planes and are sea-based, so they are only a
DIFFERENT
type of seaplane.

You can't call them flying ships- they are WIG aviation.

Rob

Oh, please, seaplanes can fly overland, fly at altitude, don't
have
to go around islands, can fly over rough seas and a few other things
WIGs can't do. Even you should be able to see that, xenia.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Here's a display of what it says is the latest on the Ekranoplans.
Since I was the guy who named them I consider the idea to be mine. I
would guess somewhere in the Russian realm or working a deli in
Brooklyn is someone who could explain why the Sovs chose the Caspian
for basing this bugger. No way out, no use except thrill rides,
pictures and exciting Western intelligence people.

Probably for a similar reason that in the UK a flooded quarry in Somerset
was the site for testing Sonar kit. No way out ... or in ! Isn't that
the
raison d'etre for Area 51?

--

Brian

No more Area 51, seems to have picked up and moved elsewhere. Somewhat
logical as the new research is in pilotless aircraft. I have heard
that the Dugway Proving grounds in Utah got some of the action and the
former launch sites for the ABM tests in Utah-Colorado to White Sands
some more.

I recently visited the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville, Or. The
big feature is the Hughes Hercules, which I had seen in Long Beach,
but my big moment was the D-21. Drone "boy companion" to the
Blackbird, I worked with the guy who did the contract finalization for
it and the SR-71. The thing was so secret in 1967 or so that we
couldn't label folders with the Codeword for the project and it was
one of the few things that was not supposed to sit on a desk top when
not being read.

Yeah; nostalgia ain't what it used to be. ...
I hefted my electronic spear on the Northern Ramparts - which was so
'Secret' we weren't allowed to mention it and any photographs of the place
had to be scrutinised by the Sy Officer so that we hadn't inadvertently
revealed anything ..... decades later, I'm watching a Rugby game on TV and
blow me down the journo is speaking of the RAF station team that's
participating AND shows off inside the Ops' Room!

During a later posting the Eng Off was being interviewed by BFBS (British
Forces' Broadcasting Service) and everybody thought it was a 'good take',
he'd been 'careful' and not revealed anything. When the interview was
broadcast ,days later, amongst the Q&A could be heard a very faint
background bleap ........ bleap ...... bleap.
Sy branch were down on us like a ton(ne) of bricks; if one examined the
audio on a 'scope; the power, prf , beamwidth and rotation rate might be
deduced. ..... . {Wonder what happened to him .... ?}

--

Brian