Old March 19th 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Grob Value?

On Monday, February 6, 2012 7:24:01 PM UTC-5, Charlie Papa wrote:
It is time to renew the insurance on a Grob Twin Astir T (fixed gear)
and a Grob 103 Twin II Acro, both in very good shape with ~3000 hurs,
and new interiors.

I have just returned from the SSA convention, and there was a lot of
chatter about the escalating values of twins. I would appreciate
informed opinions on the value of such gliders in today's market.

Charles Peteresen
Freedom's Wings Canada

Hi Charles,

I'm very late in responding; I just noticed your post. I recently went through exactly this exercise. As you've already noticed, there is virtually no inventory in the US/Canada, so it's very hard to find a meaningful price. My club bought a Twin Astir last year for $22K including trailer. It was mechanically sound but cosmetically awful (gelcoat coming off in chunks). 600 hours of labor later (I'll be writing this up for Soaring soon), we have a DIY refinished glider with beautiful Urethane-painted wings and partially refinished fuselage. I just insured it for $38K with $2K for the so-so homebuilt steel trailer. I think it would be very difficult to find a good (forget about great) condition G103 for any less than $35K for the glider itself. There are ships in Europe, but by the time you figure exchange rate, deregistration, shipping, importing, etc., you still end up at $35K or more.

Email back if you want any more documentation.

Erik Mann
P3