Old January 10th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default pre-oilers

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:16:15 -0500, Ray Andraka
wrote:

snip
Does a pre-oiler oil the cam lobes? I suspect not, unless you have oil
passages drilled in the cam to oil the lobes (I think it is RAM aircraft
that has an STC for adding oil ports to the cams for direct rather than
indirect oiling of the cam lobes). So, I'm curious as to whether a
pre-oiler does much good seeing how it is usually the cams and pistons
that see the greatest start-up wear, and these both depend on splash for
the lubrication?

methinks the "splash" is going to occur sooner after the start if the
engine is pressure pre-oiled.

TC