Old June 16th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default KLN94 GPS and flying "overlay" GPS approaches

On 06/16/06 03:40, Peter wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:

The Garmin series of GPS will move into SUSP mode when you turn
outbound for the procedure turn, or when you reach the MAP. Basically,
it stops the GPS from auto-sequencing to the next waypoint.

The KLN94 (and others?) goes into OBS mode when you get to the
MAP (which is essentially the same thing) but requires the pilot
to set OBS mode manually when approaching the procedure turn
fix (note that it reminds the pilot to do this when approaching
an IAF that is in the same location as a FAF, etc.)

Thank you very much for this.

I'd need to spend some serious time to get my head around these
possibilities. Do you Americans go on a GPS training course? I went on
a Honeywell one in 2002 but they never covered these "real life"
procedures. They just went through what the thing does.

I read the Pilot's Guide, but that's a pretty dry read without any
real practical experience. However, as I mentioned earlier, I just
completed an Instrument Proficiency Check which included heavy use
of the KLN-94. This helped all the information 'sink in'.

At the MAP (having flown a GPS approach) if going missed then I would
climb (of course) and fly the aircraft manually, or perhaps with the
AP on HDG mode and with ALT capture set to the missed approach target
altitude.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA