Old February 11th 04, 07:49 AM
David O

Jim Weir wrote:

Hey, gang...

Well, the Avionics BBS over on Yahoo was a spectacular failure. We had five
posts in six months and we just let the board go away. There was a problem,
though, that even as the administrator I found getting TO the board to be a
royal pain in the tush.

From a useability standpoint, web-based discussion groups are
inherently inferior to Usenet with good client software. Add to that
Yahoo's banner and "read me first" ads and you've got a place that
many people don't like to go, including me.

However, I get 8-10 posts a week asking me to log onto one or another "type
club" BBS and answer an antenna question, an installation question, etc.. I
also notice about the same number of questions on this ng on these subjects.
The problem is that the same questions keep popping up on these type club boards
that could be answered ONCE if there were a central "avionics" board divvied up
into major and minor compartments. An antenna on an EZ works exactly the same
way that an antenna on a Velocity works, so why answer the same question ten
times when one would do?

Judging by other implementations I've seen, I expect that your BBS
would be cumbersome to navigate, difficult to search, and a general
PITA to use. If you manage prove me wrong I would be delighted.

Perhaps a rec.aviation.avionics Usenet newsgroup is a better idea.
Establishing a newsgroup in the rec hierarchy requires a proposal and
voting process. I believe that the need, the justification, and the
necessary votes are there if someone would champion the cause and push
it through. An added benefit of having the group in Usenet is that
Google would archive it.

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com