Old July 4th 03, 04:26 AM

On 2-Jul-2003, Dave S wrote:

OK.. lets try this again..

any DOCUMENTED problems other than the aformentioned Piper SB/former AD?

How about people who have owned such aircraft?

Some years back I bought (with partners) a C-172N that had close to 7000
hrs, and it had close to 9000 hours when we sold it. Prior to our purchase,
the plane had been used as an instrument (not primary) trainer for a local
FBO. I wouldn't say that we had any particular service difficulties other
than things simply wearing out. As I recall, the biggest culprits (in terms
of cost for maintenance) we

-seat rails (of course)

-flap track bearings and bushings

-door hinges and latches (including baggage door)

-control surface hinges (the trim tab hinge was a real bitch to replace).

We also had recurring problems with nose wheel shimmy (despite rebuilding
the shimmy dampner twice and spending hours trying to shim he steering
scissors just so), and with cracks in the lower (metal) cowling and the
fiberglass cowling nose bowl.

Structurally, however, the plane remained sound despite the fact that it
lived its entire non-flying life tied down outside.

One thing to remember is that a 10,000 hour airplane that has been in
commercial service requiring 100 hr inspections has been through about 100
of them. This is a lot of taking apart and putting together of certain
items, with resultant wear and tear.

-Elliott Drucker