Old May 10th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default SeeYou Single Person License

Hi John,

SeeYou keys are not tied to PC serial numbers. You can install it on as
many of your PCs as you like without any need for additional keys. The same
is true for SeeYou Mobile.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"John Galloway" wrote in message
Does a SeeYou license key work on a different computer
anyway? When I bought a laptop I couldn't get my
desktop SeeYou key to work on it and bought a second
license.

John Galloway

At 09:18 10 May 2007, Chris Reed wrote:
Jim Vincent wrote:
I was going to buy a copy of SeeYou from a friend
since he uses Strepla for
his flight reviews. He contacted SeeYou, and they
told him that the license
was specific to him only. My understanding of the
US Uniform Commercial
Code does not allow for single user restraints down
to a specific user, it
only allows for constrains as to the quantity of users.
For the legal types
out there, what is the legality of designating a license
to a specific
person?

Jim,

This type of license conforms with US law as well as
with European law.
Caveat - I'm not a US lawyer, but am Professor of Electronic
Commerce
Law in London and know enough US federal law (which
is primarily what is
involved here) to be sure of my statement. You might
find some loophole
in your State consumer law, but not in the Uniform
Commercial Code.

Put yourself in the position of Naviter, trying to
service a tiny world
market, and ask if they could control transferrable
licenses well enough
to stay in business.

So I'd say that both the legality and morality are
on their side, not yours.