Old November 1st 03, 08:43 AM
Stan Gosnell

David Megginson wrote in
:

Peter R. writes:

Interesting you mention this point. I am in the process
of watching a few of the Richard Collins Sporty's aviation
DVDs. In the IFR Tips and Techniques DVD, he offers a PoV
that suggest a pilot hand flying in IMC does not
necessarily have the big picture view that a pilot who
uses an AP might.

I haven't heard that before. Is it because hand flying
doesn't leave you as much time to look at charts, etc., and
interpret secondary information?

I have to agree with him. I've done it both ways, and not
having to devote full time to keeping the plane straight and
level gives you more time to look at everything else, not just
the basic T. Even better is 2 pilots and an autopilot. I
normally fly in a 2-pilot crew, without autopilot, & I far
prefer to let the FO fly while I keep track of everything else,
especially approaches and the transition to the approach. The
PICMA concept is something I believe in.

--
Regards,

Stan