Old August 13th 04, 04:15 AM
Scott Schluer

Well, thanks again to everyone who responded! I've decided to take the
Banning Pass route and upgraded my aircraft for the trip from a 1978 172N to
a 2003 172SP, complete with MFD, dual axis autopilot, GPS, etc. Just decided
it would be better for situational awareness in the LA area and little more
fun to take the newer bird for a trip, especially considering I'll probably
be giving some family members and friends a quick flight around the area
while I'm in town. The SP makes for a much more "friendly" introduction to
flight than the "well-used" '78 N model. ;-)

Anyways, expect a detailed PIREP when I return on the 23rd!

Scott

"Scott Schluer" wrote in message
Hello All,

After a year long flying hiatus, it's time to jump back in. There's a

family
function in the Los Angeles area (landing KEMT, El Monte, California) that

plan on flying VFR to from Glendale Muni (KGEU), in western Phoenix. I've
looked at a couple different route options, including flying north of the

LA
area through Victorville, towards Palmdale VOR, and then south to El Monte
thereby skipping the entire LA basin area, although it would add a little
more than an hour round trip (which translates to another $100). I don't
have unlimited funds for this so saving $100 would be nice. The more

direct
route would be this:

KGEU - BXK - BLH - PSP - RIV - PDZ - POM - KEMT

This would take me over Palm Springs, then west through the Los Angeles
basin. I plan on flying 8,500 feet past Palm Springs, so I'd be well above
the congested mix of airspace beneath me. However, this will be my first
trip into the Los Angeles Basin in a Cessna 172 (or any light plane for

that
matter). I will obviously be taking full advantage of flight following if
they can accomodate me. Are there any LA locals who can provide some

advice
on this proposed route? Would it be wise to take the northen route given

my
year off from flying and my inexperience in LA? I'm not adverse to
navigating airspace (in fact, I enjoy a more challenging flight) but I
thought I'd pick some brains here first.

If you were going to go north, what route would you take given the oxygen
requirements and limitations imposed on my aircraft by density altitude in
the summer near Big Bear and the restricted areas near Twentynine Palms?
I've looked at a couple options but none of them seem to justify the added
expense just to save some flight time over a congested area.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give.

Scott
PP-ASEL