Old September 1st 03, 10:44 AM
Red

"JD" wrote in message
news:Bvx4b.238160$cF.77457@rwcrnsc53...
I tried as a dentist (Periodontist), but the Navy said either /

or.........
not both. That was in 1978, but maybe things are different now. Also,

as
an MD, flight surgeon status might let you do both. I hope you'll post

the
results of your efforts. Best JD

Yes that sounds about right.

There was "Dogface" McCoy, (RF-8) that I knew in '62 that had a MD from
Tulane, but he wanted to fly. I think after his 8 year commitment ended in
'63-'64 or thereabouts, he qualified as a flight surgeon. Even then he
couldn't do both. He was trying to get into the Astronaut Program. He made
it a good way, but didn't make the final cut, or something. Last I heard he
had a pratice in LA (Lower Alabama).

The funny thing is, we used to harass him so much about being a MD, I don't
remember what his area of expertise was. He was either a Gynecologist and we
accused him of being a Proctoligist, or vice-versa.

We used to go to Key West and stand alert in the early '60's. We tried to
get him to set up a pratice for the ladies down there. I offered to be an
unpaid office help for his pratice.

Also there were two or three MD's in the early 70's that were Naval
Aviators. One was an eye doctor, don't know about the rest. But these guys
were also flight surgeons. I seem to recall they were commisioned as MD's
and thern went to flight school. I think it part of a program BuMed was
trying for some reason. They remained flight surgeons as primary.

Red