Old August 12th 04, 11:20 AM
Cub Driver

On 11 Aug 2004 13:32:51 -0700, (Robert M. Gary)
wrote:

The dangerous time is really just before you start the
engine and don't know how strong the engine is going to come on. Also,
in both the J-3 and the 11AC and 7AC you can easily pull the door side
chock as you hop in without having to let go of the strut.

Right. Happily the engine is always hot, and the weather is never
frosty--I don't do XCs in the winter. The Cub I generally fly has an
alu prop and impulse starters (if that's the word), so will invariably
start on the first or (rarely) second flip.

I stand behind the prop with my left hand on the door frame and my
foot under the tire. (I would much rather the news story read: "He was
run over while trying to stop the airplane" than "He stood by
helplessly as the plane took off.")

I use two chocks with a light cord attached to them, which I loop over
the wing strut. They are offset to the inside. I've always been able
to give a little tug, then reel them in, while sitting in the rear
seat.

(At least, this is how I would do it if the occasion arose. Naturally,
I have never done this in real life, Mr. FAA Man.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
(put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum