Old October 22nd 04, 12:48 PM
Matt Whiting

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Newps wrote in message ...

If that happens again just ask for a local IFR clearance like you were
going to do practice approaches while IFR. As soon as you get on top
you cancel.

I told him I only needed the clearance for 10 miles until I got on
top. He said he still needed to wait for Oakland center unless I just
wanted a clearance to VFR-on-top.

He then issued me the typical to VFR-OT clearance. Climb maint...if
not on top by...etc.

I've never used an IFR to VFR on top clearance. What are the subleties
of this? What is the clearance limit? What are the lost comm
procedures if the clearance limit isn't an airport? What if you don't
break out when you expect to find VFR?

Matt