Old November 5th 04, 06:19 AM
Scott D.

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:16:24 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, Bob Fry said:
(Paul Tomblin) writes:
In a previous article, (Bob Fry) said:
Do you know of any services--preferably free--that will accept a cell
phone SMS message with ICAO IDs, and send an SMS message back with
METARs and TAFs?

I wrote one. But unfortunately a SMS message is too short, so it ends up
coming back as three messages.

Hmmm, is it available to the vast r.a.* audience?

I'm a little reluctant to share because I don't know what sort of volume
it might get. Give it a try, send an sms to
. You can
specify the stations in the subject line or in the body. If the volume
gets too high, I'll turn it off.

There use to be an AIM nickname called Pilotsmart Metar that if you
sent a text message to it with only the airport identifier in the
body, it would return the current metar.

I actually liked using it on my phone that had AIM on it, but I have
not seen it up in quite some time.

Scott D.