Old December 3rd 04, 10:15 AM
Cub Driver

On 30 Nov 2004 08:13:16 -0800, (Thomas Ploch) wrote:

What I would really like to know, and don't seem to find anywhere, is
how is a tailwheel like a Scott SUPPOSED to work. In other words, is
the released condition only for performing tight ground manuvers or is
it expected to release or castor in other situations? Does it
release differently when there is weight on the tailwheel than when I
have the tail raised during preflight inspection? Overall, I would say
the functioning of entire tailwheel mechanism is a little bit of a
mystery.

I think it's ground handling. If I push the Cub at the inside brace
(my shoulder next to the fuse), it travels in a straight line, so the
detent is sufficient to keep the tailwheel locked. When I push at the
tiedown point, it turns instantly and without resistance.

I often pick up the tail and rotate the tailwheel, usually to
straighten it out for taxi.

I think but am not sure that on the two occasions when the plane
swerved on takeoff (they were different aircraft), it was because the
tailwheel wasn't lined up straight ahead. I'm not sure of this. On one
occasion there was a crosswind.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:
(put Cubdriver in subject line)