Old June 21st 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default First U.S. Pilot Jailed For A Domestic Aircraft Accident

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:51:03 -0400, John Smith wrote
in :

The problem is that the FAA has deliberately refused to define
"congested" so as to apply the term at their descretion in legal
matters. This case seems to be an example of that.

From the chart and satellite image at the links below, how would you,
or any other reader, class the area where this mishap occurred,
uncontested? Congested?

Here's a chart centered on Alexander Field South Wood County (ISW):
http://skyvector.com/perl/code?id=KISW&scale=1

Here's a satellite image:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...91231&t=h&z=13

It's unclear to me on exactly which part of the river this mishap
occurred, but personally, I would class the areas north, east, and
southwest of the field as congested. Obviously the green wetlands to
the south and west of the field are only congested with vegetation.