Old November 1st 10, 12:56 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jeff Crowell[_5_]

Default Question on ditching an Orion

Gordon wrote:
Ultimately, the pilot has responsibility for the safety of his crew --
but when it involves spyplanes or other strategic assets that would
obviously help the enemy, crews should understand that every effort
must be made to keep those aircraft out of the hands of the enemy. I
was appalled by the EP-3 pilots decision to land in China..

Gordon, I have to agree.

I try not to get too critical a pilot's actions when I don't
know the full meal deal on the situation, but this seemed fairly
egregious.

Orions do have a poor record in ditching AND in bailouts, IIRC,
but in my humble opinion that is part of what you sign up for.
That may take me (once again) outside the run-of-mill opinion....

Jeff
--
YOU KNOW YOU'RE A REDNECK IF...
Your dog can't watch you eat without gagging.