Old January 15th 18, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Default When to get a parachute?

I have to respectfully disagree with Dan. I purchased my PW-5 and my parachute before - yep before - I soloed. (As did one of our CFIGs when he started soaring.)

I had a lot of encouragement from many club members. Once you purchase your own glider, you are committed to complete your licence

It was one of the best decisions I ever made. After 6 solo flights in our club ASK-21, I got signed off to fly the PW-5 solo. (The PW-5 is much easier to fly than the ASK-21). After that, I was able to complete the required flights to take the check rides for my PPG quickly. No waiting in line for club ships.

If the right opportunity comes along, and you are willing to make the commitment, I'd go for it!

Lou