Old January 15th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default Libelle 301 water ballast

On Jan 14, 11:29*pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 14, 6:37*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:

On Jan 14, 2:50*am, "
wrote:

Do 301's have water ballast as an option?

Thanks

Al

No, but some in the US have added water ballast to ships licenced in
the experimental category. The Feds won't let you go over the 660 GW
in standard category.
JJ

Thanks JJ.

What ever happened to your 301 from doug and the full canopy franken
libelle?

Regards

Al

I gave it a good annual last year, it was in good shape except for
blisters because the owner didn't open the trailer for a year. He said
it was up for sale at 12ish, last I saw it was at Williams Soaring.
You'd fit in the franken' cockpit real well, Al and your young enough
to get in and out without shoulder pain. I had a cherry 301 that I
flew in the Reese nats, but my shoulder hurt for 6 months afterwards.
It's down at Tehachapi. The unmodified 301 is a good machine for
sports class, climbs like stink, doesn't run all that well above 70
knots. Bet it could win in weak conditions. The Schuemanized Libelle
goes well, but they knock off 5% on the handicap and I don't believe
its all that good.
Cheers,
JJ