Old December 27th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default spins from coordinated flight

Todd W. Deckard wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
There is only one thing you have to know about spins. To enter one you
need 2 things to be present; stall and a yaw rate.

So to corner your answer to my question: you cannot? spin from coordinated
flight.
The airplane must be yawed during the stall break (thus the inclinometer
ball slips or skids
to one side).

My question is not to seek out practical advice in spins, or recoveries. It
is to explore two
academic debates: Can a certificated airplane depart if the ball is
precisely in the middle
and is there something telling in the emphasis from the foreign sources
cited that exposes a
gap in our US training practices and material.

Thank you for your response.

I'll be making a new years resolution to try it out in the neighboorhood
Decathalon (with an appropriate
chaperone) but as it is cold and snowy I thought I would put it to the
uunet.

Best regards,
Todd

You are correct; IF coordinated flight is being defined as ball
centered. This is indeed what is taught to most new students as they
begin flight training.....that is until they start doing slips :-))

When and if you get into aerobatics or begin flying with advanced
instructors with deep aerobatic backgrounds you learn quickly that
coordinated flight can mean cross controlled flight as well as the usual
definition with everything going ball centered in the same direction :-)
I once flew a Pitts Special the full length of a major airfield holding
it in knife edge flight. In the TRUE sense of coordinated, holding the
aircraft in knife edge would be considered as coordinated flight.

Depending on the instructor, you either learn that coordinated flight is
with the ball always in the center, or you can be taught that you are
coordinated when the control pressures are applied in the exact amount
necessary to place the airplane in the sky at the exact configuration
required at any instant in time.
I prefer the latter definition and have taught my students this way for
many years.

--
Dudley Henriques