Old January 4th 18, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default New Racing Class

wrote:

Want a one deign class today with plenty of ships in the fleet that meet the above criteria? Start a Std Libelle class.
Just Musing
UH

I think I am about to start the official Ka-6 Semi one design racing class. Will be somewhat like the old International Race of Champions. Will assemble a small group (10-20) of Ka-6s of different models, equip them the same (or at least, very similarly), and race. No handicaps. But, you will draw a different plane to fly each day, to sort of balance out the differences between a Cr and an E. They are available for less than most 1-26s, and about half or less than the cost of a Standard Libelle. They have enough performance to be fun and easier to fly cross country than a 1-26. Pilots can come in and rent the plane for a very nominal fee (maybe $20 per racing day?) and go race.

We may well have enough Ka-6s in my area (Wichita, KS) to give a class like this a test at a contest this summer. Could do it at a regionals, but couldn't trade ships each day, so the defined subset of Sports might have to be limited to Schleicher Ka-6s. There has been a joke around my club about having a "Steve Class" to fly to try and win "The Steve Cup", and this might just be a good start for this new class. Anybody got a flyable but not in use Ka-6 they want to give me for this worthy cause? I only have one, but I have friends with more. :-)

Steve Leonard