Old February 25th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Military Airfield Procedures..

On 25 Feb 2006 14:19:32 -0800, "Dan" wrote:

Isn't the arresting gear charted as the E-23 lines on the airport
diagram? http://avn.faa.gov/d-tpp/0602/00511AD.PDF

I think the 1000x200 is how far up the runway and how wide the wire is
(for 3L at least, there are other similar numbers like 600x200 at the
other end)?

On another note, as I was inbound on the ILS, the tower handed me over
to someone else for a "monitored" approach. This controller called my
position on the ILS and advised of any deviations. There was no
parallel ILS in progress. Is this just the way things are done at a
military field?

Did they say "No further acknowledgement required" or something to
that effect? If so you got a PAR (Precision Approach Radar). They
light up two radars, one for vertical and one for lateral positioning
and guide you all the way down. There's no civilian plate for these
(is there a military plate somewhere?) but it's a cool approach to
shoot with a safety pilot. Since the radar guidance is precision, you
need no onboard equipment to shoot this approach. I think it's fun to
go up with a safety pilot, cover the AI and DG, and shoot the approach
using altimeter, wet compass, and ground controllers only until they
call minimums, at which point you should be able to pop off the hood
and have a runway right in front of you.