Old October 1st 04, 07:26 AM

On 30-Sep-2004, "C Kingsbury" wrote:

We've also got cylinders reading 63, 68, 70, and 73.
If one dips down, do we just top the whole thing (it has about 1800 tach
time) or just replace the bad jug? Or do we declare surrender and major
it, even though it's a 100% part-91 airplane and the engine doesn't turn
into
a pumpkin when the meter hits 2000?

I think it depends on what is wrong with the "bad" jug. If it has no cracks
or other problems besides low compression, my inclination would be to have
it (the jug) overhauled (i.e. reworked) if possible. We had a very similar
situation with the IO-320 in our Skyhawk when it had about 1750 SMOH. We
pulled the jug, sent it out for repair, and flew on it with no preblems for
the next 300 hours, until general engine condition (and calendar time SMOH)
dictated a major,

--
-Elliott Drucker