Thread: Class mobility
View Single Post
Old December 6th 18, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Class mobility

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 11:52:30 AM UTC-6, JS wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 9:31:11 AM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
Of interest to me is that it looks like only one person (Geoff Brown) chose to "span down" and is flying with his shorter span tips. Everyone else is flying with the longest span their plane can fly with. No ASG29s, JS3s, Ventus 2C or similar in 15 meter class. And the other JS1 is flying with his 21 meter tips on.

Also of interest to me is that all classes are handicapped.

Steve Leonard

Most of the JS1s are B models, 18m only.
All the LS8s are flying with baby wingtips. One D2C flying at 18m.
I like the feel of the 18m D2C full of water, but at high speed it doesn't go like something with flaps.
Jim

Yep, Jim, I was only speaking to the JS1c. One flying 18, one flying 21 meter. The one D2c also appears to be a turbo, so I am guessing he didn't want the really big wing loading hit if there were weak days. There are probably other Turbos that went "span up" for the same reason. And if you had an LS8 with 18 meter tips, I would think you would stick with the 15 meter ones because then you aren't going up against the flapped ships that are a generation or two newer than your plane. Yeah, they are racing against same span flapped wing ships in the "combined to make 15 meter" class, but their real competition is the Standard Class. They are more like me as "score sheet filler" in the 15 meter class. Yes, I see them in 3rd and 4th, but 800 points back.

Sure wish I was there, as it look like the weather has been good! May not see a thermal here in the flatlands of the US for another 2-3 months.

Steve Leonard