Old May 2nd 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default "PENTAGON WORKING TO GIVE F-35 JSF NUCLEAR-STRIKE CAPABILITY"

On Fri, 01 May 2009 15:25:07 GMT, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

It's a bad idea to give F-35's nuke capability, it's expensive,
unnecessary and useless, in fact worse than useless,
because we are openly working to go non-nuclear weapons.
Ken

It is certainly not "expensive"--it is simply adding the spec to the
construction for wiring to some of the weapon stations to provide for
monitor and control of special weapons. It is not new technology and
it isn't major modification stuff.

Concur. Even the old S-2E/G had the capability (nuclear depth
charges; useful in a limited way against subs but also useful for
other things).

Still, the Big Question is not whether we add some wires and boxes but
whethe we have leadership with the fortitude to address serious
problems. Sadly, that's been lacking for a while.

Bill Kambic
Gracefully Aging RAFS Member