Old July 21st 03, 03:36 PM
Chris Walton

Hey Carl,
I actually live relatively close to Huntingdon, there are a number of
airfields in the area which offer private flying. At the moment I fly from
RAF Wyton and Bourn.
This may help,
http://www.flyer.co.uk/directory/index.php

Chris

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:57:22 -0500, Carl Orton wrote:
Also, is UK dual time loggable (already have PP ASEL, so I'm not building
towards anything)? Just thought it would be neat to have a UK entry...

;-)

If you have your PP-ASEL, it's not only loggable, but it is also PIC time
(where you fill in both 'Dual Received' and 'Pilot in command' columns)
if it's in a plane you're rated for (i.e. any light single).

You also don't need to 'convert' your license to fly in the UK. You can
fly on your FAA PPL with no paperwork. Of course, it's a good idea to sit
down with the instructor and discuss the differences (mainly radio
procedure) and the flying club will want to check you out - this tends
to involve the same sort of things as a check out for a new FBO in
the US will require (a few takeoffs and landings and maybe some air work).
It depends on the club.
See http://dylansmith.net/flyinguk - I did write this about 4 or 5
years ago but the comments are still pretty much valid.

Also note there aren't really FBOs in the UK, just flying clubs. Most
have temporary memberships for visiting pilots.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net