Old November 1st 03, 04:09 PM
Martin Eiler

Should we assume that these two rope breaks were during aero tow?
The next obvious question is how strong were the weak links and
why did they break.

The fact that this individual had two weak links break at a low enough
altitude that it resulted in his landing off field, does make us wonder
what the complete story is. Was he solo in a single place glider? Or
was it a result of letting a student get too far out of position? Inquiring
minds would like to know.

M Eiler

More specifics please for those off-airport landings. Otherwise your

"1000
feet" may be taken by some as a bit of an exageration.
Jack

In my friends case, the first break came shortly after crossing the field
boundary at about 50 feet. This was a case of insufficient climb angle to
reach 200 feet while still in range of the runway. The other, as I
understand it, was at about 300 feet but still out of gliding range of the
airport.

My comment about 1000 feet referred to a situation that happened to me
because the tug pilot turned downwind at 100 feet AGL with a heavy glider
and strayed still further downwind as the air tow ground on despite urgent
radio calls. It was only at 1000 feet AGL that I felt that I could

release
and get back. (and get another tug pilot) This has happened to me too

many
times to recall all of them.

Understand, I fly in an area where density altitude at takeoff can exceed
10,000 feet. It takes a strong tug to keep a heavy two seater constantly

in
range of the runway.

My point with the original post is that there is no guarantee that the

magic
200 feet AGL will always get you back.

Bill Daniels