Old May 12th 05, 12:45 AM
Andy

Very interesting question and obvious that FAA did not consider towing
with motor gliders when this rule was drafted.

In my opinion, if your pilot certificate says "ratings - glider" then
you do not hold a category rating for powered aircraft. A self launch
endorsement is not a rating. If you were grandfathered, like me, you
wouldn't even have the endorsement. On the other hand if you have a
rating for single engine land you could be qualified to tow, but not to
fly the motor glider. To meet the letter of 61.69 you would need to
rated in gliders and SEL (or other powered aircraft).

The question does not seem to have been asked in the AFS FAQ ref:

http://www.faa.gov/AVR/AFS/AFS800/DOCS/pt61FAQ.doc

Try email to John Lynch for an interpretation (address is in the ref
above)

Andy

Greg K. wrote:
My apologies. I meant to be more specific in request below. I know

the
discussion about a motorglider being "powered aircraft" with regard

14 CFR 91.205. I am asking whether a motorglider is a powered

aircraft
with regard to pilot certification. Can a Private Pilot-Glider tow?

Greg