Old November 28th 05, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Small turbines for homebuilts?

"ventus2" wrote in message
David,

Not competing with high horsepower output like your top Lycombings or
Conti;s but interesting nevertheless.
Check out http://www.tjt.bz/ as these engines are being used very
successfully in gliders at the moment. No idea on performance figures,

fuel
burn etc.

Chris

These little centrifugal turbojets are very inefficient consuming about
10GPH of Jet A for 50 pounds of thrust. Still, they are very cool.
Efficiencies are getting better so there's hope. I keep hearing rumors of a
8" diameter turbofan that would halve the fuel consumption.

Even today, they are a very interesting when applied to gliders. 50 pounds
of thrust would push my glider along at about 120 knots - probably a lot
more at high altitudes. Since it already has 75 gallon tanks in the wings
normally used for water ballast that could easily be converted to fuel
tanks, the range would be impressive. The airframes' aerodynamic efficiency
offsets the inefficient engine.

The engines tiny size and weight makes it easy to retract the engine into
the fuselage when flying as a glider.

Bill Daniels