Old March 7th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Software for flight planning????

Prop wrote:

what all do you guys use?

I have been using Jepp's FLightStar for the last three years and have been
very happy with it. Prior to using it I was also an Aeroplanner customer,
but back then (greater than three years ago) there were many promises made
by the company that were never fulfilled.

For example, there was Aeroplanner's beta program to redesign the planner
that went on for over a year. I took the time to learn the new interface
and reported many bugs to them. These bug reports sat for almost a year
with no response at all. I finally got frustrated with the company and
canceled my membership.

FlightStar allowed me to plan a trip across the US, from NY to California,
and back again, very easily. When I was in Denver, CO, planning my return
leg to NY (using FlightStar on my laptop), I discovered a line of strong
storms over my entire route the morning of my flight. Within a half an
hour, I had replanned and refiled the entire 1,200 nm route about 200 nm
miles south to avoid the storms.

If you do a lot of flying, this software is an invaluable tool.

--
Peter