Old March 31st 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Gunner

Default soliciting DG-101 info

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:58:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking at a DG-101G and am seeking feedback from experienced pilots regarding handling, assembly, landing, and any components that are typically subjected to wear or damage.

Thanks-
Matt

I am not an experienced glider pilot. I hesitate to reply as I only have about 20 flights in my DG and less then 100 total flights in any glider but I realize the community is small so I will offer my opinion. I have found it pleasant to fly. Stalls have been no big deal whether wings level or in a bank. Spins the same. I haven't tried the other approved aerobatic maneuvers.

I have only assembled it once with help from the previous owner as I hangar it. I did think the aileron hookups where a bit of a pain with the wire safety pin difficult to get correct. The wings seemed heavy and since it was just two of us I sure needed the one man rigger to help. Putting on the elevator was fine. Landing has not been a issue so far. Spoilers seem effective. I use full forward trim on my CG hook for aerotow launches as suggest by a flight review I read online. Google it if you haven't.

Visibility is great, I really like the canopy. Cockpit fits me at 6'4" but not a lot of headroom.

I don't have any info on wear items. I would buy it again.