Old December 9th 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Default Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

Yeah 500km was a bit of a stretch, but 300Km are not uncommon in many places.
100-200km are pretty common in the areas I fly. These are typically straight distance, not yo-yos.
The point is that they actually fly further than many sailplane pilots in some of the places I fly, which is very respectful distance for a bag with less than 10:1 glide ratio.

Ramy

On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 10:10:03 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Often fly 300-500km? Often??? Sebastian Kayrouz just set the record of 501 in the US a couple months ago. Take a zero off that comment and you might be closer to the truth. I find it difficult to compare Paragliding and Hang gliding to sailplanes. Its really a different breed. That said i agree they are capable under the most specific conditions with very high skilled pilots.

DC

On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 1:22:05 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
Tom you realize you don’t know what you talking about? Paragliders fly much faster and farther than you think. In fact some of these guys often fly 300-500km in paragliders.
Also the safety record of “these idiots” as you call them is in fact better than gliders. There are many more paraglider pilots and paraglider flights than sailplanes, with lower fatality rate. Sure they get injured much more often, but most of their accidents are survivable. We lost more glider pilots in Nevada than paraglider pilots. They certainly carry a lot of water with them, and can easily land on any dirt road and walk.. And since many of them are younger and in better shape than many of us, they can walk out 20+ miles to the nearest road. They fly with 2M ham radios which reaches far more than “few miles” I believe further than our hand held radios, and can also use ham relays and other technologies. And most of them fly with trackers.
Perhaps non soaring pilots can make judgments on anyone who chose to fly light aircrafts without engines in the middle of nowhere, but not us.

Ramy