Old March 15th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default You know you own an airplane when...

RST Engineering wrote:
Because if you had immersed that switch in lacquer (sic) thinner or brake
cleaner you would have been out the same money. Either of these solvents
will dissolve the plastic case of the switch quite nicely.

Jim

Take the microswitch off, immerse it in laquer

thinner or brake & parts cleaner, work it a few times while wet, and
blow it out. Really good chance it will work just fine.

Wish I'd thought of that. I was a fairly new owner, back when that
switch failed on my old Warrior, and I simply went along with the
shop's recommendations.

I used plain alcohol to clean mine about 4 years ago and it has worked
fine ever since. I put the switch in a small jar with the alcohol and
slosh it around some and repeated it a couple of more times.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP