Old February 8th 12, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Default LX Navigation Introduces the New LX 9090 Zeus

Dave Springford wrote:
The LX 9090 Zeus features a 5.5 inch colour screen and runs a new LX
Navigation glide and nav software. It has the ability to show either
a 2D or 3D terrain moving map on screen.

I sent a few questions about the LX 9090 Zeus to LX Navigation, in an
attempt to resolve my confusion, here are the answers from Crtomir
Rojnik:

Q: Is this a team effort by LXNav and LX Navigation, or did you adapt
LK8000 to look like the LX9000, or did you really write a new software
from scratch?

A: "LX Zeus is using LX Navigation original SW, there is no adaptation
of LK at all."; "Yes, we did new SW for LX Zeus."

Q: Are customers free to replace your new software with a custom one
on the hardware they own?

A: "at the moment we don't plane Zeus running under SW like XCsoar. MM
family will continue on free ware SW."

Q: Does it run Linux or Windows?

A: no answer, question was ignored.

Q: I heard the LX Zeus runs Linux, is that correct?

A: no answer, question was ignored.

Q: The MiniMap and the LX8000/9000 are all based on the old ARMv5
architecture. Did you choose a modern CPU architecture for the Zeus?
(i.e. ARMv7 with NEON and OpenGL)

A: no answer, question was ignored.

Unfortunately, nothing new. All interesting technical questions were
ignored, not even the choice of operating system is disclosed at this
point.

Can't wait to analyze the firmware image when it's out, to see if the
software was really developed from scratch. I don't think there's a
market for yet another commercial gliding software - writing one costs
millions, but the market is too small. I don't think any company can
afford to write a new one from scratch, it'll never pay off. It would
need to be a "killer" app that everybody wants to buy. The new 3D
terrain display is not even something I find even remotely useful.

Max