Old February 24th 04, 01:09 AM
Jim Phoenix

I was quoted $1.30/mile by a glider transport operator. Seemed high to me,
but considering the time it takes and cost of travel, you may have few
options. I was lucky and connected with a fellow glider-owner who was
heading west. Cost me about $.58 per mile for a 1250 mile delivery.

Jim

"Jeremy Zawodny" wrote in message
I've been shopping around for used gliders and one of the factors I need
to consider is how far away it is. Obviously, if it's far away, I'll
need to get someone I don't know to do the pre-buy inspection and will
pay more to get the glider to me.

My local FBO says that $1/mile is a good figure to use when estimating
the cost of getting a glider from point A to our gliderport in California.

Does that seem about right?

Also, what options are available for transport?

I've heard of hiring someone to tailer the glider. I've also heard of
folks using a freight company, where the glider trailer gets loaded onto
a trucky [preumably].

Any pros and cons to these methods?

Thanks,

Jeremy