Old December 24th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Default Tanis heaters

On 23 Dec 2006 16:53:31 GMT, Blanche wrote:

Peter R. wrote:
Blanche wrote:

I had the Reiff oil sump heater installed back in August. Last time
I went flying was 2 weeks ago. Put the 2 car blankets (those blue
quilted things from your favorite Big Box hardware store) over the
cowl after flying, made sure the heater was plugged in, patted the
putt-putt on the spinner and went home.

Call me a sucker for marketing, but what covering the prop and spinner?
The point that the prop and spinner hanging out in the cold will transmit
that lower temperature through the crankshaft deep into the engine seemed
logical to me.

This is why I broke down and bought the insulated cowling cover and
prop/spinner covers from Kennon.

After three days of being plugged in and covered on a sub-zero day, my
aircraft's prop and spinner are still warm to touch.

I live in the 'burbs of Denver.

Say hello to my brother for me. He lives in Firestone.

Sorry -- didn't provide all the info.

1) Yes I have prop covers and a spinner cover.
2) the blankets easily cover the air intakes on the cowl

On the Deb the spinner creates a lot of space. I wrap the blankets
around everything and pin them together under the cowl. Even at zero
the prop blades are quite warm out a foot or so beyond the blanket.
The engine is uncomfortable to touch where the crank comes out.
Probably some where around 10 to 20 below I'd have to put boots on the
prop blades, but you aren't getting me out there in those temps so
it's a non issue. :-))

Not sure where Firestone is. But I haven't even seen my neighbors
from 4 houses over, the plows have piled up so much snow. Somehow,
I think we'll have a different company on contract next year.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com