Old August 4th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default Differences in O-540 models

Mike wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
Mike wrote:

As I said, some applications require extra parts like a starter
adapter. That alone weighs 40 lbs or so if I were to guess.

On Continentals they weigh maybe 10 pounds.

I couldn't remember as that was years ago when I had one replaced. It
seemed like a big hunk of metal at the time.

I'm not aware of any big bore Continentals that use starter adapters on
some planes and none on others for the same engine. As for weight
sometimes newer engines within a family weigh less because of various
engineering changes. For example many Bonanza's use the 470, just like
early 210's. At overhaul time it's usually a bad idea to put another
470 into a Bo because both the 520 and 550 weigh less, 30-50 pounds
depending on model. The 550 weighs the least and puts out the most
horses and just simply runs the best.